Real ID Graphic


The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is offering REAL ID compliant driver licenses and identification cards.

If you use your driver license or identification (ID) card to get through airport security, or to access a federal facility this will soon change. Starting October 1, 2020, you will need a REAL ID, U.S. Passport or military ID in order to board a domestic flight, or access certain federal facilities.

California is working to meet the new standards, which were set by the federal government, and have made available REAL ID compliant driver licenses and identification cards at all DMV locations throughout the State of California.

According to the DMV, residents interested in applying for a REAL ID compliant driver license or identification card must do the following:

  1. Make an appointment to visit a field office. Appointments can be made online by visiting or by calling 1-800-777-0133.
  2. Provide proof of identity (for example: U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, certificate of naturalization or citizenship, employment authorization document, permanent resident card, or foreign passport with an approved form I-94).
  3. Show a California residency document (for example: utility bill, rental agreement, mortgage bill, medical document).
  4. Present proof of your Social Security Number (for example: Social Security Card, W-2 form, SSA-1099 form, Non-SSA-1099 form, Paystub (with full SSN).

Why Do I Need a Real ID?

  • Boarding any domestic flight
  • Entering secured Federal buildings (military base, courthouse, etc.)
  • Purchasing firearms/ammunition (visit for more information)

Visit for more details about Real ID today!


To receive the required Real ID from the CA DMV, be sure to bring:

  • One proof of Identity – unexpired passport, official birth certificate, naturalization/citizenship document, etc.
  • One proof of Social Security number – Social Security card, original W-2 form, paystub, etc.
  • Two Proofs of CA Residency – utility/cell phone bill, insurance documents, deed/title of property, rental agreement, etc.

If you do not choose a Real ID, you will be issued a Federal Non-Compliant driver license or identification card. Restrictions apply.

Visit for more details about Real ID today

Required Documents + En Español

Learn More + En Español

Find My DMV +

Make an Appointment +

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call my Kern office at (661) 335-0302 or my Kings office at (559) 585-7170.